Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Flash from the web

Flash is the artwork that you pick off the walls or books at the tat shop. These days, you can also buy flash off of the web. Here is the single biggest complaint I've had and I've heard about Web flash: people print it out way smaller than it can be tattooed properly. Then, they bring it to the tattoo shop and the tattooist says "It's too small to be done right." Customer: "But I got it from an official tattoo site." Tattooist:"It was printed too small." Customer (getting whiney):"But it didn't say anything about that." Tattooist (getting pissed off): "They aren't the ones tattooing it." Ad nauseum.

Hey! Listen to what the tattooist is telling you! Why people argue with tattooists when they're telling a customer that they can't do something well is beyond me.

If you really don't trust what the tattooist is telling you, then you shouldn't be getting a tattoo from them anyway.

You can find a tattooist who will do anything you want. Personally, I don't trust these kinds of tattooists, but that's me. I know that a tattooist knows a hell of a lot more than the person getting tattooed, or at least they ought to. If that's not true, get out of that shop fast!

Going to an opinionated tattooist is a hell of a lot better than going to one who isn't. You may not like this person as much, but they are more likely to know what they are doing. Or they could just be a great bullshitter. Don't forget to look at photos of the work they do! In this case, a picture is worth 1,252 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe I showed up with a black and white physics book that had a picture of Saturn in it and said, hey, do something colorful with this. It worked out great! But I had to trust the artistic interpretation, and of course I saw a sketchup first. Worked out fine! Until my parents found out. :)